Search This Blog

The Love of my Life <3

The Love of my Life <3

Thursday, August 6, 2009

I"m sorry but I must....

Ok. This has been bugging me for some time now. And I know many of you use twitter - but why?

I'm so tired of hearing on the news how "We have our twitter up dates! Gather round and oogle with us!"

I get that it's all about communication quickly and under 160 characters - but for god's sake it's not the BE ALL TO END ALL form of communication! Just now on the news the anchor was saying how since it has been hacked today many people didn't know what to do! Umm how about work? or gee go outside and take a walk...or how about this insane idea...READ A BOOK! and to end his segment " a high school student notices that John Quincy Adams had tweets - the historical society has posted them on twitter and he has X amount of followers."

Really? REALLY?!?!?! *shakes head* Ok. I got that out. Again I apologize to everyone out there who uses twitter. It's just well...again it's not the ONLY form of communication. Ok I'm done I promise :)

10 comments:

Amanda said...

A bunch of book bloggers are on twitter, and often it's basically like being in a bit chat room with a bunch of other bookish people. I enjoy all the conversations.

margaret said...

My issue isn't with the book bloggers 'twitting' over the newest book they've read. It's with the news and entertainment companies that think Twitter is the end all be all form of communication. I'm tired of hearing on the news that "OH! So and so just tweeted this and follow us too." I don't know - I don't mind the book bloggers talking about their favorite passage but it's the news companies that get me. I hope that clears it up?

Natascha De Marco said...

I don't really like Twitter also. I think its the newest weapon for stalkers.

But oh well, authors like it, and I like authors. Soooo @TaschimaCullen

Much like everything in life,Sad, but true.

margaret said...

I will admit - I joined it for like 5 minutes but couldn't figure it out it worked so I canceled my account. Had NO IDEA what it meant.

Anonymous said...

Woah, even your review makes this book sound really... does huge make sense? It sounds like a more mature and groundbreaking take on Malorie Blackman's 'Pig Heart Boy'

Might try it someday, although it sounds a bit too sci-fi-ey for me?

Anonymous said...

For some reason, my comment on your Flowers for Algernon review posted here. Hmm.

Anyway, about Twitter. I use it and I DO follow celebrities and bloggers, but I only tweet and check other people's tweets every so often. When I'm writing a tweet I often don't see the point, but I guess it's the idea that people care what you're up to. It's suddenly become huuuge and loads of people use it, which is mainly why I do. I prefer MSN or real conversations though. Much more fulfilling (sp?) :)

margaret said...

I have never heard of "Pig Heart Boy" but I'll check it out. I loved Flowers for Algernon - and I want a mouse so badly!! I'll check out your book :)


As for Twitter - my main complaint was the News and how they HAVE to have Twitter updated throughout the broadcast to be "hip" or "cool" I find is annoying. I find that generally the News Companies talk down to us and I don't appreciate that. When they add Twitter to the mix it's more repulsive. I don't have a problem with y'all using Twitter.

I hope I'm making sense?!

Jill said...

Ha - I'm only reading your post now - about 10 minutes after I became an official twit. :-) I started feeling left out when devinoni was tweeting about all our fun at WorldCon. I will let you know how it goes. And I could care less about the corporate twitter stuff - yuck. I thought it might be a fun way to quickly keep up with people - on a personal level.

margaret said...

I will admit that I too want to join the book blogger world on Twitter (and I did for like 3 seconds) but I feel like I'd be a 2 face?

Jill said...

I don't know - I don't really get it yet myself. But at least this way I'll understand it a bit better. I'd say openminded rather than 2-faced! :-)