Search This Blog

The Love of my Life <3

The Love of my Life <3

Monday, July 6, 2009

YA Challenge #2 - Secrets of my Hollywood Life

The first thought that comes to me when I think about this book is how utterly funny and fast paced it is! I usually take more than a day to finish any book I start. I get easily distracted by TV or the internet, but once I started this book I couldn't put it down!! :)

To quote a line from William Shakespeare's The Merchant Of Venice "All that glitters is not gold..." Kaitlin is one of Hollywoods new teen sensations. She has a killer role on the soap opera "Family Affairs", has a wonderful wardrobe, and a killer life style. However she has to put up with a very demanding family. Her younger brother Matt keeps annoying Katie to put a good word out for him and her mother keeps trying to live vicariously through her. On top of that she has no time to just breathe.

Family Affairs had just finished shooting the final episode for the season. Katie has been feeling like a break away from the lime light would be a nice way to re-charge her batteries while the show is on hiatus. She is tired of putting up with Sky's antics. Sky is her "sister" on the show but in real life Sky hates Katie and takes any chance she can get to ruin Katie's image.

Katie decides to tell her family at her movie premiere that she plans to attend her best friend Liz's high school. Everyone agrees that Katie can go there for only 2 months (with a handful of other press related shows scheduled.) Katie is forbidden to tell anyone but her close entourage about her idea. Now she has to keep not only the Hollywood life in order but her new alias as Rachel secret. Hopefully she can keep her new double life away from Sky, who keeps looking to put Katie out of the lime light permanently.

A couple of weeks in the Spring Fling is all anyone is talking about! Kaite has a new crush, Austin, who is the sophomore's #1 hunk. The theme for the spring fling is Hollywood. Austin asks Katie to be his date. She agree - and they're going to the dance. Katie is 'playing' herself and Austin is playing Trevor (Katie's co-star). When Sky appears at the dance, it only signals one thing to Katie - doom.

I love how Jen Calonita created a sexy boy that was also smart, funny, and wanted Katie for her brian and not her beauty. I also love Katie. She kept her head held high no matter how many slanderous lies Sky kept spreading in the gossip columns. I can't wait to read the next book!!

Also reviewed at Dear Author

Books in this series

1) Secrets of My Hollywood Life
2) Secrets of My Hollywood Life: On Location
3) Secrets of My Hollywood Life: Family Affairs
4) Secret of My Hollywood Life: Paparazzi Princess

Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita. New York (c) 2007

5 comments:

Jill said...

This was one of our summer reading picks for last year at my library, but I never did get around to reading it. Sounds like I should remedy that!

Btw I just started Skin Trade - so far, so good!

margaret said...

OMG OMG OMG!!! NO WAY ITS OUT?! GAH!!

Kinnie said...

im requesting you read more kids books.now!He He :)

Angela said...

I've never heard of that book before, but it sounds interesting. I really like the cover of the book.

Thanks for the review.

margaret said...

Your welcome Angie! I hope you like it. It's a really funny book, that a nice quick read. I can't wait to read your review of it!