Search This Blog

The Love of my Life <3

The Love of my Life <3

Saturday, July 18, 2009

YA Challenge #6- The 39 Clues: Maze of Bones (Book 1)

For you adults that are familiar with The Da Vinci Code you'll understand the book. The two main characters Dan and Amy must race against members of the family to solve the the 39 clues - which will save the world.

It is a pretty action packed book for kids - with double crossing, bombs, traveling the world, and never looking back. From page one I was sucked into the book and couldn't put it down. Even when I was sleeping last night I was thinking about the book - I even had a dream I was trying to solve the clues!

Grace Cahill has kept a very important secret to herself; even her own family doesn't know. For 400 years Cahills all over the world have worked to keep the secret safe until it was ready to be discovered. On her death bed, she knows it is time for the hunt to begin. She also knows what conniving backstabbers her family relations are and can only hope that both Dan and Amy (her grandchildren) will solve the clue - they are her only hope.

Before she dies, she gets her lawyer to take about the top secret will. The will contains the very first clue and who among the family are allowed to get it. At Grace's funeral only 40 of the hundreds of people to show up, are selected to hear the reading of her will. They are invited by the golden tickets found in their pamphlet. (The golden ticket made me think of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - except her funeral is much more subdued than candy land.) When the 40 guests gather in the room, they are told that they can either take the 1 million dollars Grace has bestowed them, or they can go on the greatest race known to man - but there is NO truing back and they only have 5 minutes to decide. Amy and Dan are the last to decide and they decide to join the race - there is no turning back now.

They get their au pair, Nellie to help them by being an adult like figure. With Nellie's help they go to Pairs on their first clue. However their relatives are hot on their trails, trying to hurt Amy and Dan any chance they get. With the first clue solved everyone is rushing to be the first to get the second clue - Amy and Dan already have a lead.

I have to read the second book!!! The 39 Clues is also a real life competition that Scholastic has put together. The books come with 6 'clue' cards of their own, and you can even buy the cards too! I'm not interested in playing the game - I just want to read the books :)

Steve has also reviewed this book which can be found by clicking here. His blog is here Book Reviews and More

Books in this series:

*The books will be written by different kid authors*

1) The 39 Clues: Book 1 The Maze of Bones
2) The 39 Clues: Book 2 One False Note
3) The 39 Clues: Book 3 The Sword Thief
4) The 39 Clues: Book 4 Beyond the Grave
5) The 39 Clues: Book 5 The Black Circle (Aug 11, 2009)
6) The 39 Clues: Book 6 In Too Deep (Nov 3, 2009)
7) The 39 Clues: Book 7 Untitled ( Feb 2, 2010)
8) The 39 Clues: Book 8 Untitled (Apr 6, 2010)
9) The 39 Clues: Book 9 TBA (Jun 2010)
10) The 39 Clues: Book 10 TBA (Sept 2010)

The 39 Clues: Book 1 Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan. New York (c) 2008

10 comments:

Amanda said...

It's really interesting to me to see a bunch of authors writing a series together. I want to read this at some point, but I"m daunted by the number of books.

margaret said...

You'll like it Amanda and it's a super fast read! I was 3/4 of the way finished with it last night, and I started it late last night. I have a tendency to make a HUGE list of books I want to read and then get so side tracked from the list - I often forget LOL :)

Jill said...

Do you think it would make a good readaloud for the girls? It's been on my list for a while.

margaret said...

I think the girls will LOVE it! I know I did. Yeah, the girls will like it - it's adventure and traveling!

Jill said...

Don't the books come with cards or something? Do you need those to enjoy the complete experience? I remember when the books came out, we got an email at work from the purchaser who said that they were taking the cards out but would be getting the books for the collection. So I didn't know if I should buy it for the girls or just get it from the library. mabye the cards are sold separately?

margaret said...

The book I got came with the cards - you don't need the cards though to enjoy the book. Scholastic created an actual game were you can create an account and then play along and they have an actual money prize. I didn't use the cards at all - I just want the book :P

You can also go to like Wallmart or whatever and buy the cards. I think it's a money making scheme. The books are fine by themselves.

Jill said...

Good to know - thanks! :)

tinylittlelibrarian said...

I read this one recently, too and enjoyed it. I think it's super-cool so that so many great authors are contributing to the series. I lurve Gordon Korman, so I'm really looking forward to the next book!

margaret said...

I know! I love the story - and the kids get to sight see lucky ducks! If you want to send me the URL of your post on the book I'll put it on my review :)

Steven R. McEvoy said...

Thanks for the link back. I just heard that my arc of book 5 is on the way. It's a great series.