Search This Blog

The Love of my Life <3

The Love of my Life <3

Monday, December 14, 2009

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

HOLLY SMOKES BATMAN! When I googeled the title of this book google mostly brought up pictures from the movie, and Daniel Radcliff was like 5! Ok, not that young but still. Man I remember when the 1st movie game out, and my dad pulled my sister and I out of school so we could see it. That was a magical day for me - not because of HP but because I got to spend time with my dad and he made it so magical.

Back to the review of this book.

Harry Potter doesn't know what's so special about him. In fact all he knows is that his life is miserable. His Aunt Petunia is nosey and loud, his Uncle Vernon is fat and vicious, and his cousin Dudley is spoiled rotten and vicious like his father. He has no friends at school because everyone fears Dudley and as far as comfy beds go Harry has a lumpy one under the stairs. He doesn't know what happened to his parents, except for they died in a car crash.

Odd things keep happening to Harry, he doesn't know why, and when they do his aunt and uncle become furious at him. The months following up to his 11th birthday begin to act strange - to say the least. People walk around in funny costumes, and owls are everywhere during daylight hours! Letters addressed to Harry start to arrive at the Dursley's house - and Uncle Vernon tries to stop Harry from reading them. Eventually Harry receives his letter and learns he is a wizard.

The wizarding world is strange for Harry but he adjusts quickly even making new friends and enemies. His school year begins to get adventurous when he believes on of the school's own professors is after a mysterious package that Albus Dumbledore does not want found. It's up to Harry, Ron, and Hermoine to stop the professor from getting that package!

Reading this book brought be back to the 6th grade when I first started reading the books. I can't believe how long it's been! I remember fighting with my sister over who would get to read the newest book first and waiting with strained patience when I didn't win and had to wait for her to finish. My only complaint for the WHOLE series was how it ended. It felt like a cop out! She should've at least done 1 more book this time being the gangs time in college and fighting a rouge group of Voldermort supporters or something. Eh. All in all though it was a great book :)

Books in this series:

3) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
4) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
5) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling. Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. (c) 1997 US (c) 1998

10 comments:

Natascha De Marco said...

God I love Harry Potter, but I would never review it. I think of Harry as a classic, and all I would be able to write would be GOSH I LOVE IT AND I DONT KNOW HOW ANYODY COULD HATE IT!

Amanda said...

I'll be starting my rereads of this soon for the challenge, probably in January.

Jill said...

It's fun to revisit favorites, isn't it? Kinnie is utterly obsessed with this series these days. She enjoys reading the funny parts out loud to me - I laugh seeing how tickled she is! Are you going to reread the whole series now?

margaret said...

Taschima - Lol! I had a hard time reviewing just b/c of that. Plus everyone knows the story which makes it hard to keep it fresh and new.

Amanda- Have fun!! I though about all your collections of HP as I re-read it :)

Darla - Yes, I'm going to re-read the whole series it's for Michelle HP challenge - Kinnie can still join the challenge if she wants :)

Michelle said...

YAY for enjoying Harry Potter! I'm still trying to get started on them, lol

margaret said...

Good luck :)

Imogen said...

It's been so long since I've read any Harry Potter, and you've brought the memories flying back *sobs*

margaret said...

THEN YOU MUST START READING IT AGAIN!! :)

I am and my memories keep flooding back :)

Arielle said...

I too want to read this series again one day! I wish J.K.R. wrote another HP book.

margaret said...

Me tooo! I hated how she ended the whole series! It felt like such a cop out to moi!