Search This Blog

The Love of my Life <3

The Love of my Life <3

Sunday, July 19, 2009

YA Challenge #7- 13 Reasons Why

I just finished this book not 2 seconds ago - and I feel like the main character not at the end but in the middle. I feel 'shell shocked'. This book is an amazing book, and also a sad one, but it ends with hope.

The book opens to a sad a exhausted male sending off a package to the next recipient of the “list”. Inside the box are 7 cassette tapes – with 13 different stories.

Hannah Baker killed herself – and sent out a box with 7 cassette tapes – each with a story about a person responsible for her death. Well that's not entirely true - as she says “I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why” (p 7).

If they don’t keep sending the box to the other recipients than a public showing will be made – some how Hannah will know from beyond the grave. Along with the cassette she gives them each a map – with locations that she has already marked down.

This first story on that tape deals with a boy named Justin – and how he ruined Hannah’s reputation. Justin was Hannah's first innocent kiss. “A kiss? A rumor based on a kiss made you do this to yourself? No. . . a rumor, based on a kiss, is just the beginning" (p 30-31).

All I could think while reading this is if Hannah sent me these tapes and I had to wait for my names I’d go crazy

Rumors are ugly things that change a way we look at things – or do they? Do we allow them to? Why does it give them a reason or excuse to do that?

From the first side of the tape – it shows Hannah’s down ward spiral – it shows the actions of people who helped her fall – no one offered to help – to selfish or did they just not know?

I still say this is a wonderful book, just don't let the whole story make you turn away. As I said before, there is hope at the end :)

Lisa from Books Lists Life also reviewed the book here

Another blogger has reviewed the book here. The blog's name is The Reticulated Pi-Thon. I couldn't find their name. Sorry!!

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. New York. 2007

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great review! I have this one on my bookshelf.

Amanda said...

This was an excellent book. I picked it up at 2 in the afternoon and couldn't stop reading it. I didn't stop to eat, I didn't stop for my favorite show, I didn't stop to sleep. I finally finished around 1 in the morning. Amazing book.

margaret said...

I kept eating while reading fearing I'd drop something on the book. I keep wondering if he'll do a boo about Sky - but have more of Clay and the after effect. You'll like it J.

Briana said...

I've been wanting to read this book for a while. I have not heard one bad thing about it.

-Briana

margaret said...

You'll definitely like the book Briana. I feel so bad for Clay though. I can't wait to read your review!

Jill said...

Wow, that sounds like a powerful book. I may be a bit too wimpy for it, though...

margaret said...

Hahaha it's not that bad Darla. It's just sad that she couldn't keep her life - and that the people around her didn't see she was in pain. I'm still un-happy with her for not calling a suicide hot-line - but maybe she couldn't muster up the courage. I still love this book!

Anonymous said...

I've heard about this book - it sounds really good!

Great review :)