Search This Blog

The Love of my Life <3

The Love of my Life <3

Friday, June 26, 2009

Mr. Benedict and the Mysterious Society

Being an orphan is not fun. Feelings of 'unwontedness', 'despair', or 'not fitting in' are some thoughts that seem to haunt you. It's even worse if you are a very bright and talented child, and all the other orphans taunt and tease you. Reynie (Reynard in full) fits right into that category. He has is own private tutor (Ms. Perumal), reads extensively, and can even speak 3 languages. 

One day Reynie come across a newspaper add that asks "Are You A Gifted Child Looking For Special Opportunities?" It tells him to come to a building with only 1 pencil - to take the test. If he does not follow the rules exactly (if he brings say 2 pencils) then he is disqualified. The tests are hard and have 3 levels. The tests filter through many, many children - and only 4 remain. Katy, Sticky, Constance, and finally Reynie. They finally meet Mr. Benedict who tells them the reasonings behind the tests - and the task he has for them. The kids must infiltrate a top secret society that has been broadcasting brain washing messages - and only the children can.

    The task is dangerous for if they fail then the world will fall under the evil plans of Mr. Curtain (who we later learn is Mr. Benedict's twin). Along the way the children learn that they have a family and that they each poses strength that help them out as a whole.

Do the kids finally beat Mr. Curtain and save man-kind? 

The book was ok. I found that at times the passages went on for longer than necessary. But it is a kids book. All in all I'd give it an "ok" rate. It was neither remarkable nor regrettable. 

Another review (far better from mine) is found at BookApex 


The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (c) 2008

In this Series:

1) The Mysterious Benedict Society
2) The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey 
3) The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoners Dilemma (coming soon)

6 comments:

ARISTIONO NUGROHO said...

Hi friend, peace...
Your post very interesting, and thanks for your information.
If you willing visit my blog, and read my post at http://sosiologidakwah.blogspot.com
And... if you love books, read The Holy Qur'an please...

Rowena said...

This doesn't sound like the kind of book that I'd normally read but it sure does look kind of interesting. Thanks for the review.

Jill said...

Yeah, I felt pretty much the same way about this one. It strained credibility a little too often for my taste - but I have to say it's very popular among young readers at my library.

margaret said...

Rowena, it was interesting at times. I just felt like the book took too long on some passages which made it a headache to read sometimes. It also made me laugh sometimes too (kids and their antics.) I hope you will like it and I look forward to reading your review :)

SerieslyReady said...

I really like this series and am looking forward to the next one.

margaret said...

I don't know Series - I had a hard time getting really into it. I had moments of "man this is good" but they didn't last that long. I'll read your reviews and then go from there :) (Maybe you'll make switch sides :)!!)